Monday 23 June 2008

Starting to feel natural

It's two weeks on again, and I can't imagine life without toilet training. I think it is really contributing to the success that we're using the toilet and not a potty. Yes, it is a step backwards for independence in that he needs help getting up and down, but it also means that we hang out with him there, sitting opposite him on the edge of the bath, at eye-level. We have fun, and sometimes he does a wee or a poo or both.

I'd be lying if I said he never balks at going on the loo. Sometimes he just doesn't need to go and doesn't want to sit on the loo and he'll contort himself and sometimes you can force his bum down and sometimes you can't. Usually in those situations I just let him run off (cackling), but sometimes I need to change his undies and it's easier if he's sitting still so I make him sit long enough to swap 'em and there's no harm done. I have to say, though, as the temper tantrums become more frequent, that we got a distractable baby. He likes to throw a good strop, but a few beeps of the horn on his little car and he's off and playing again.

Daycare started putting him on the toilet more often last week after a decree from the director that they should all be in undies all day long. One day he peed on the toilet four times! I pointed out that it would not be fun for them fishing poo out of undies every day (he poos around 10am) so they're keeping him in a pull-up until that's out of the way. It was probably a silly move - a few days and they'd start watching out for the Very Obvious Signs of Imminent Poo, but I had the misfortune to fish a rather sticky one out of some undies on Saturday and it was not as easy as the rolling log variety, I must confess.

I haven't bought nappies in three weeks - partly thanks to using cloth inside my gDiapers and partly because we're going through on average 2 nappies a day now. I bought pull-ups two weekends ago and took them in to daycare last Monday to be told he still has half a bag left. I'm loving his tightie whities and so's my bank balance.

No comments: